Kothamalli Kozhukattai (Coriander Rice) Recipe
Kothamalli Kozhukattai is a traditional recipe from South India which we have tweaked a little to add a twist of coriander flavour.
Kothamalli Kozhukattai is a traditional recipe from South India which we have tweaked a little to add a twist of coriander flavour. A nutritious, healthy steamed recipe made with rice & dals and is perfect to be served during breakfast and tea time.
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/4 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal)
- 1/4 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2-1/2 Water
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 5 teaspoons Fresh coconut , grated Grind to paste
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 15 Curry leaves
- Salt , as per required
- 4 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves
How to make Kothamalli Kozhukattai (Coriander Rice) Recipe
To begin with Kothamalli Kozhukattai, grind the rice in the mixer grinder to make rice rawa. Grind the dals too to make dal rawa.
Heat coconut oil in a non-stick Tawa. Add mustard seeds & allow it to splutter. Once it splutters, add water & ground paste.
When this comes to a boil, add rice rava, dal rava & grated coconut. Mix everything well & boil it till the water is absorbed.
Keep it aside & let it cool down for a few minutes. Once cooled, make Kozakattai (elliptical balls) of the mixture.
Arrange in idli plates and steam it for 10 to 15 minutes.