Matki Chi Usal Recipe - Spicy Moth Sprouted Salad
Matki Chi Usal Recipe, a quickly tossed sprouts in some Indian masala and garnished freshly grated coconut. You can also pack it in your Lunch Box.
Matki Chi Usal Recipe (Spicy Moth Sprouted Salad Recipe) is one staple food in most of the Maharashtrian households as it is very easy to make and very nutritious as well.
All you need is to sprout the moth (matki) beans one day in advance and keep them. It is tossed with some basic Indian spice and then finished with some crushed dry red chilli and grated coconut.
If you are looking for more Maharashtrian Recipes, here are some that you can make for your everyday Lunch/Dinner:
- Maharashtrian Amti Recipe
- Broccoli & Bell Pepper Zunka Recipe
- Maharashtrian Karanji Recipe (Gujiya) - A Delicious Diwali Sweet
- 1 cup Moth Sprouts (Matki)
- 1/2 cup Horse Gram Dal (Kollu/ Kulith) , sprouted
- 1 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon Fresh coconut , grated
- 1 Lemon juice
- Salt , to taste
- Water , as required For tempering
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
How to make Matki Chi Usal Recipe - Spicy Moth Sprouted Salad
To begin making the Matki Chi Usal Recipe (Spicy Moth Bean Sprouted Salad Recipe), firstly heat a flat skillet with oil, splutter the mustard seeds and jeera. Then sprinkle a pinch of hing.
Then add in the matki (moth) sprouts along with red chilli powder, salt and saute till it combines. Add about 1/2 cup water and reduce the heat to simmer, cover it with the lid and let it cook.
Gradually stir at regular intervals so that it does not get stuck to the bottom. Once done drizzle some lemon juice and mix well.
Now to make the tempering, heat a small tempering pan, crackle the curry leaves and the dry red chillies in 2 tablespoon oil for few seconds and pour it over the matki usal.
Mix well and then sprinkle some freshly grated coconut over the top and serve.