Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe -Spicy Drumstick Curry
A traditional South Indian recipe that is essentially a tamarind curry that is cooked with spices like sambar powder and combined with vegetables like drumsticks and baby onions (shallots). Serve the curry along with dosa and idli for your amazing breakfast.
The Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe is a traditional South Indian recipe that is essentially a tamarind curry that is cooked with spices like sambar powder and combined with vegetables like drumsticks and baby onions (shallots). Different regions of South India make a Kuzhambu with a set of spices that a family uses and many also add coconut milk to make the Kuzhambu richer.
Did you know ? Drumstick pods helps to build strong bones, it is very good for pregnant women also. Drumstick pods which are known as moringa in local language is rich in calcium, Iron and vitamins. They are also have properties such purifying the blood, improves digestion and protects against infection.
Serve the Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe for a quick weeknight dinner along with steamed rice and ghee or even along with dosa and idli.
Here are few more South Indian Recipes to try :
- Radish Greens Poriyal Recipe (South Indian Style Radish Greens Stir Fry)
- Paruppu Rasam Recipe (South Indian Dal Rasam)
- Seppakizhangu Roast (South Indian Style Arbi Fry) Recipe
- Kovakkai Podi Curry Recipe (Tamil Nadu Style Ivy Gourd Stir Fry)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/4 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 2 sprig Curry leaves , roughly torn
- 10 Shallots , halved or quartered
- 1 Tomato , diced small
- 1 cup Tamarind Water
- 3 to 4 Drumstick , cut into 2 inch sizes pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Sambar Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- Salt , to taste
- Oil , as needed
How to make Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe -Spicy Drumstick Curry
To begin making the Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe we need a pressure cooker.
Into the pressure cooker, add a teaspoon of oil; add in the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Allow it to crackle.
Next add in the baby onions (shallots), the tomatoes, the curry leaves and stir fry for about a minute till you can smell the aromas from the onions coming out.
Add in the drumstick, tamarind water and the remaining ingredients like turmeric powder, coriander powder and sambar powder. Check the salt levels and adjust according to your taste.
Cover the pressure cooker and cook the Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu for about 3 to 4 whistles. After about 3 to 4 whistles, turn off the heat.
Allow the pressure to release naturally. Then open the pressure cooker and transfer the Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu to a serving bowl
Serve the Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu along with a hot bowl of rice, a vegetable like urulai kizhangu roast and a salad.