Mushroom Tikka Masala Recipe (Mushroom & Bell Peppers In Spicy Tomato Gravy)
Roasted chunky mushroom and bell peppers in tikka masala
Mushroom Tikka Masala Recipe is a perfectly roasted chunks of marinated mushrooms and bell pepper in a fragrant and spicy tomato based gravy. Skillful to make and a crowd pleaser for sure. Mushroom Tikka Masala Recipe can be served for lunch or dinner along with Pudina Tawa Paratha or Butter Garlic Naan Recipe and Bharma Baingan Aur Pyaaz Ki Sabzi Recipe (Spicy Stuffed Brinjals With Onions).
If you like this recipe, here are a few more recipes that you might also love
- Instead of bell peppers, you can add green peas, carrots etc.
- If you do not have thick yogurt, drain regular yogurt for about 30 minutes and then use the hung yogurt for the marinade.
- For a creamier and richer gravy, stir in 2 tablespoons of cream at the end, just before removing from heat. This is an optional step.
For the mushroom marinade:
- 1/4 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt) , or greek yogurt (hung yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder , or kitchen king masala
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tablespoon Gram flour (besan)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder
- 2 cups Button mushrooms , cut into 2
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1/2 cup Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , cubed For the tikka masala gravy:
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini)
- 1 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1/2 cup Onion , chopped
- 3 Green Chillies , or jalapenos
- 8 Cashew nuts
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon Oil , or ghee Other ingredients:
- Salt , to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil , or ghee
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) , to garnish
How to make Mushroom Tikka Masala Recipe (Mushroom & Bell Peppers In Spicy Tomato Gravy)
To begin making Mushroom Tikka Masala Recipe (Mushroom & Bell Peppers In Spicy Tomato Gravy), prep up with all the ingredients and start with marinating the mushrooms.
In a large mixing bowl, add all the marinade ingredients, except mushrooms.
Mix well, do a taste test and adjust spices and salt according to your taste.
Add in the cut mushrooms and toss well to coat the mushrooms with the marinade evenly.
Cover with a cling wrap or plate and keep in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to an hour.
In a kadai, heat 2 tablespoons oil and once hot, add the cloves, cumin, cinnamon and green cardamom. Sauté for a few seconds.
Add the chopped onions, green chillies, ginger, garlic and cashew nuts; fry for a few minutes till lightly roasted and the onions turn soft and cashews light brown.
Stir in the chopped tomatoes along with a pinch of salt and fry on medium flame until the tomatoes are slightly cooked, turn soft and most of the moisture is gone (you can see the gravy leaving the sides of the pan); about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from flame and let cool.
Once cooled a bit, place the fried mixture in a blender jar and blend to a fine paste; there is no need to add any water as the moisture in the tomatoes is enough to make a smooth creamy paste. Keep aside.
Now, heat the same saucepan with about 2 teaspoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the marinated mushroom (if there is marinade left in the bowl, do not add this; you can add this in the tikka masala gravy later) and fry on medium high heat, stirring continuously.
When the mushrooms starts to wilt, it will start to release water. Keep stirring.
Once most of the moisture is gone, add the cubed capsicum and sauté again for a few minutes till the mixture is well roasted.
At this stage, switch off flame and keep these roasted mushrooms and capsicum aside.
In a deep kadai, heat 1 tablespoon of oil/ghee, add bay leaf and stir in the tomato-onion-cashew paste.
Sauté for a few seconds; tip in the rest of the spices; coriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste (remember, the grilled mushrooms have salt too, so add accordingly); give it a good stir.
Add about 1 cup of water (rinse the blender jar and add this water too), mix well and bring to a boil on medium high heat. Adjust the consistency of the gravy according to how thin or thick you want it. At this stage, if you have any leftover marinade, you can add that too.
Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and stir in the sautéed mushrooms and bell pepper mixture.
Mix well, adjust the salt and heat on medium high, until the mixture is heated through; about 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from heat, garnish with crushed kasoori methi leaves/coriander leaves and serve hot with with Pudina Tawa Paratha or Butter Garlic Naan Recipe and Bharma Baingan Aur Pyaaz Ki Sabzi Recipe (Spicy Stuffed Brinjals With Onions). You can even pair it with steamed basmati rice.