Orange Peel Kuzhambu Recipe - Orange Peel Tamarind Based Curry
Orange Peel Kuzhambu is a delicious Kuzhambu recipe which is made with orange peels and tamarind. This South Indian Style Curry makes for a delicious curry along with Steamed Rice and Keerai Kootu for a weekday lunch.In association with Preethi Kitchen Appliances
Orange Peel Kuzhambu is a spicy, tangy gravy made with tamarind juice and orange peels. Most of us just throw away the orange peel after eating the orange. But the orange peel tastes amazing and h s a host of health benefits.
So next time you want to make any South Indian vegetarian curry for weekday meal, do try this curry where you can use the orange peels remaining from your orange.
Orange peels are a source of health-promoting carbohydrates and this is a great way to include it in your diet.
If you like this recipe, here are a few more Kuzhambu recipes that you can make for your vegetarian lunch/dinner:
- 1/3 cup Orange peel , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , thinly sliced
- 1 Green Chilli , slit lengthwise
- 1 cup Tamarind Paste
- 2 tablespoon Sambar Powder
- 2 tablespoon Jaggery
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 cup Water
- Salt , as per your taste
- 2 tablespoons Sesame (Gingelly) Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
How to make Orange Peel Kuzhambu Recipe - Orange Peel Tamarind Based Curry
To begin making the Orange Peel Kuzhambu Recipe, heat a teaspoon of oil in a kadai over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add slit green chillies, sliced ginger and curry leaves. Saute it for about 30 seconds.
Then, add the chopped Orange peel and saute for a few minutes until the orange peels shrivel.
Next, add salt, sambar powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida and stir everything well until the sambar powder gets coated well on the orange peel. This will take about 2 to 3 minutes.
Once done, stir in the tamarind juice and add jaggery to it. Add 1 cup water and allow it to boil for 5 minutes on rolling boil.
Once the water has reduced to half the quantity and the gravy is thickened, you can switch off the flame. This would take 15 - 20 minutes.
Orange Peel Kuzhambu is ready to be served.
- Use generous amount of oil for this kuzhambu. It stays good for upto a week in fridge and taste better with days.
- You can also include onion and tomato along with orange peel - first saute onion and tomatoes and add orange peel to it. No compromise in taste!!
- The jaggery is added to bring in a slight sweet taste amidst all spiciness.
Orange Peel Kuzhambu Recipe - Orange Peel Tamarind Based Curry is part of the Indian Curry And Gravy Recipe Contest