Pudalangai Milagu Kootu Recipe (South Indian Snake Gourd Curry)
The Pudalangai Milagu Kootu Recipe is a delicious dish made from snake gourd combined with lentils and coconut. This classic south indian kootu recipe is perfect high protein recipe that is nutritious and healthy. Kootu is usually vegetable cooked with lentils and grounded coconut masalas. The Pudalangai Milagu Kootu Recipe a typical Brahmin dish that is popular in all parts of Tamil Nadu.
You can substitute ridge gourd/bottle gourd/pumpkin for snake gourd. And Snake gourd is referred as cooling ingredient in Ayurveda and thus it makes this as a must recipe to try during hot summers.
You can serve Pudalangai Milagu Kootu goes good with hot rice, papad and some ghee on top.
Take a look at more South Indian recipes that are popular.
Ingredients For the Kootu
- 1/2 cup Masoor Dal (Whole)
- 1/2 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2 Snake gourd (pudulangai)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- Salt , as required For masala paste
- 3 Dry Red Chillies , (adjust)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh coconut , grated
- Sunflower Oil , as required For tempering
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- Curry leaves , few
How to make Pudalangai Milagu Kootu Recipe (South Indian Snake Gourd Curry)
To begin with the Pudalangai (Snake Gourd) Milagu Kootu Recipe, first wash and soak dhal for atleast 30 minutes
Now take the snake gourd and clean and chop them into small pieces.
In a pressure cooker add dhal and snake gourd along with turmeric powder, hing and salt. Cook them upto two whistles. Cooking for longer time will make the vegetable mushy.
Meanwhile,roast all the ingredients mentioned under for masala paste in oil and grind them into fine paste using a mixer.
Combine the grounded masalas with cooked dhal and snake gourd and cook until the raw smell goes off.
Heat oil in a small kadai and add some oil,mustard seeds, urad dhal, red chill and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add them into the vegetable dhal mixture
Your Pudalangai (Snake Gourd) Milagu Kootu Recipe is ready to be served.
The best way to serve Pudalangai (Snake Gourd) Milagu Kootu is with some hot rice and ghee on top.