Puli Manga Kuzhambu Recipe - South Indian Spicy Mango Curry
The Puli Manga Kuzhambu Recipe is a lip smacking spicy south indian curry that is made from mangoes cooked in a sweet and spicy tamarind gravy. It makes a great side dish along with rice or even kerala parotta.
Puli Manga kuzhambu recipe is a delicious tangy spicy dish made from raw mangoes that is simmered in a tamarind extract curry. The addition of fenugreek seeds, jaggery and hing, makes this kuzhambu recipe stand out in taste. The flavors from the fenugreek seeds and coriander seeds that are roasted and powdered brings out the authentic taste of this delicious curry.
If you like this Puli Manga kuzhambu recipe, take a look at more similar recipes like
- 1-1/2 cups Tamarind Water
- 1 cup Mango (Raw) , diced, with skin (about 1 large raw mango)
- 2 tablespoons Ginger , chopped
- 2 tablespoons Green Chillies , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 3 tablespoons Jaggery
- 1 tablespoon Sesame (Gingelly) Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 2 Curry leaves , finely chopped
- Salt , to taste
How to make Puli Manga Kuzhambu Recipe - South Indian Spicy Mango Curry
To prepare Puli Manga Kuzhambu Recipe/ Raw Mango in Sweet and Tangy Tamarind Curry, heat the oil in a pressure cooker; add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and allow it to crackle.
Stir in the asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger and green chillies. Saute for a few seconds.
Add the turmeric powder, mango, tamarind extract, coriander powder, red chilli powder, jaggery and salt to taste.
Cover the pressure cooker and pressure cook the Puli Manga Kuzhambu for 3 to 4 whistles. Once done, turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally.
Once done, open the pressure cooker and lightly mash the mangoes to make a thick kuzhambu gravy. Check the salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste.
Transfer the Puli Manga Kuzhambu to a serving bowl and serve hot.