Ras El Hanout Recipe (Moroccan Spice Powder)
Aromatic blend to flavour up recipes in Moroccan way
Ras El Hanout Recipe (Moroccan Spice Powder) is one of those spice powders which will come in handy when you are in mood to open up to African recipes. Home made spice blends are so easy to make and store. You always have a room to alter spice levels to suit your taste. Ras El Hanout is one of the most popular Moroccan spice blend and a widely used spice in Moroccan cuisine. This spice blend is complex in flavors due to more than a dozen spice ingredients in it. Ras El Hanout Recipe (Moroccan Spice Powder) can be used in marinade of meats, in tagines, whisked in yogurt to give an amazing dip/spread and many more or even sprinkle it over salads for a kick.
Here are some more spice powders that you can easily make at home
- 2 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 10 Cloves (Laung)
- 10 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 tablespoon Paprika powder
- 2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mace powder , (or grated mace)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg powder , (grated nutmeg)
- 1 tablespoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1 tablespoon Dry ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon Star anise , (grated)
- Dried rose petals , few (optional)
How to make Ras El Hanout Recipe (Moroccan Spice Powder)
To make the Ras El Hanout Recipe (Moroccan Spice Powder), get prepped with all the spices required.
Heat a kadai and dry roast every spice till aromatic, separately, with care not to brown or burn any of them. We just want to warm the spices so it releases its amazing fragrant oil from it.
Remove from pan immediately and allow each spice to cool.
Now into a good blends add all the ingredients roasted along with the other ingredients from the list and blend into powder in a mixer grinder.
Store the Ras El Hanout Recipe (Moroccan Spice Powder) spice blend in a clean, dry, airtight container and use as needed.