Saoji Egg Curry Recipe
Saoji Egg Curry Recipe is a simple and tasty Egg Curry with Soaji masala and is perfect for your weekends. Serve it along with a Kerala Parotta.
Saoji or Savji is a popular cuisine from the Nagpur region of Maharashtra. The cuisine is known for being spicy, fiery and predominantly non vegetarian. The ingredients used are fairly simple however, the combination makes it very spicy.
In the traditional saoji cuisine, a special variety of chilies are used called the Bhiwapuri chilies, which gives the dish the distinctive spicy flavour and red colour. Even though, the saoji refers to a spicy and hot, we have toned down the spice levels so that people of all age group can enjoy. You can increase the level of spices and chilies if you like it more spicy. The freshly ground saoji masala is prepared to induce more flavour into the dish.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Egg curry Recipes such as
- 4 Whole Eggs , hard boiled
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 cup Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for the saoji masala
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Dry coconut (kopra) , slivered
- 2 Guntur Dried Chillies
- 5 Kashmiri dry red chillies
- 1 teaspoon Poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 6 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 Kapok Bud , (Marathi Moggu)
- 1 Mace (Javitri)
How to make Saoji Egg Curry Recipe
To begin making Saoji Egg Curry Recipe, hard boil the eggs for 10 minutes, peel the shells and keep aside.
Now, to prepare the saoji masala dry roast the ingredients mentioned in the masala table under medium heat which includes dry coconut, guntur red chillies, kashmiri dry red chillies, poppy seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, shahi jeera, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, kapok bud, mace and once aromatic grind it to a fine powder using a mixer grinder and keep aside.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw smell goes away.
Add in the tomatoes, turmeric powder, season with salt and mix well. Cook this mixture until the tomatoes turn all soft and mushy.
Add in the prepared saoji masala, add 1-1/2 cups of water and bring it a boil.
Simmer this curry mixture for 10 minutes, until it turns a little thicker and the oil seperates out.
Now, gently slit the eggs from 4 sides and slowly drop it into the prepared curry and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.