Sweet Potato Dal Recipe
Sweet Potato Dal is very delicious and nutritious dal which you can make on day to day basis.
Sweet Potato Dal is very delicious and nutritious dal which you can make on day to day basis. This dal get its sweet taste from sweet potatoes and spiciness from all the masalas, thus making it perfect for the platter.
Serve Sweet Potato Dal along with Lauki Badi Ki Sabzi and Phulka for a weekday lunch.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Dal recipes such as
- 1 cup Masoor Dal (Whole)
- 1 cup Sweet Potatoes , cubed
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil , or any other oil
- 2 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 Tomato , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 4 Green Chillies , slit lengthwise
- 5 Garlic , peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 6 Curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt , (adjust according to your taste)
- 2 cups Water For tempering
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , Few sprigs, chopped
How to make Sweet Potato Dal Recipe
To begin making the Sweet Potato Dal recipe, wash masoor dal with water and soak in water for about an hour.
In a pressure cooker, add dal, a cup of water and pressure cook for about 2 whistles. Set aside.
In a non-stick pan, add oil and heat over medium flame.
Add cumin seeds to the oil and wait till the seeds splutter.
Now, add green chilies and garlic. Fry until the garlic becomes brownish.
Gently add sliced onions and fry till they are translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they become mushy.
Now, add the mentioned spice powders and combine them well.
Add potato pieces and stir them until the spices are blended evenly with the potato.
Add water and cook on high flame until the potato pieces are cooked well.
Add the cooked dal to the pan. Adjust water according to your required consistency.
Season it with salt. Reduce the flame and cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes, until the dal are blended with potatoes and spices. Switch off the flame and set aside
In a small pan, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds followed by urad dal and cumin seeds.
Let the mustard seeds sizzle and cumin seeds turn brownish.
Add the tempered oil to the dal and give a stir. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Prepare this Sweet Potato Dal and serve with steamed rice with a dollop of ghee or jeera rice and Kachumber Salad for a simple and comforting weekday meal.