Yellow Pumpkin Dal Recipe
Yellow Pumpkin Dal Recipe is a comforting and wholesome dal made with toor dal, pearl onions and pumpkin, spiced with garam masala and a seasoning of hing and curry leaf. Serve with rice or phulka for a complete meal.
Yellow Pumpkin Dal recipe is a tasty thick pumpkin based lentil curry, that makes for a soothing and comforting meal especially on weekdays. The addition of garlic and other spices and the quick way it can be put together, makes it a lovely dish that goes well with steaming hot rice topped with ghee,
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Dal recipes such as
- 1 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal)
- 500 grams Kaddu (Parangikai/ Pumpkin) , cut into one inch cubes
- 1/2 cup Pearl onions (Sambar Onions) , quatered
- 4 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 3 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- Lemon juice , from one lemon Ingredients For seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 6 Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
How to make Yellow Pumpkin Dal Recipe
To begin making the Yellow Pumpkin Dal Recipe we will first cook the toor dal with 4 cups of water until it becomes very soft. See video recipe of how to cook lentils using pressure cooker.
Next, heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add in the mustard seeds. Once they begin to crackle, mix in the curry leaves and asafoetida. Pour in the chopped onions and garlic, and sauté them until the onions turn soft and translucent.
To the cooked onions, now add the diced yellow pumpkin, salt and chilli powder and give everything a good stir.
Pour in a teaspoon of water, reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid and allow the pumpkin to cook for 5-10 minutes until soft.
Finally, when the pumpkin is cooked, add the cooked toor dal and garam masala, add water if necessary to adjust the consistency and let everything boil on high heat.
Once done, take the Yellow Pumpkin Dal off the heat and garnish it with the chopped fresh coriander.
Allow this delicious Yellow Pumpkin Dal to rest for about 10 minutes, squeeze in the juice of a lime and serve it nice and hot with steamed rice or phulkas.