Aloo Matar Masala Khichdi Recipe
Bhojpuri Style khichdi cooked with cubed potatoes, peas and more
Aloo Matar Masala Khichdi Recipe is a mildly spicy Bhojpuri khichdi dish made with potatoes and peas. The whole spices in the recipe adds a nice aromatic taste. This khichdi recipe is very different from the regular khichdi we make at home as this does not have lentils in it. The texture and the flavours differs from the regular khichdi due to addition of potatoes and peas. Serve the Aloo Matar Masala Khichdi Recipe along with Cauliflower & Cucumber Raita Recipe and Papad for a simple yet delightful weeknight dinner.
If you like this recipe, try more recipes like
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 3 Potatoes (Aloo) , cut into big cubes
- 1 Onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped for garnish
- Salt , to taste
How to make Aloo Matar Masala Khichdi Recipe
To begin making Aloo Matar Masala Khichdi Recipe, wash the rice and keep it soaked in water till you add it into the recipe.
Wash, de-skin, cut the potatoes into big cubes and keep it immersed in a bowl of water until further cooking.
Heat ghee in a pressure pan, add the whole spices - bay leaf, black and green cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and let it release its flavours into the ghee.
Add the cumin seeds and let it splutter.
Add the sliced onions, green chilies and saute until the onions turns translucent.
Drain the potatoes from water and add it to the pressure pan along with peas and saute for a minute.
Add the coriander powder, cumin pepper and red chilli powder and mix well.
Add the drained and soaked rice, about 5 cups of water, season with salt and bring it to a rolling boil.
Close it with the pressure pan lid and cook for 4 to 5 whistles, or till done.
Switch off the heat, let the pressure release on its own before opening the lid.
Garnish with coriander leaves use a fork to carefully mix the khichdi.