Cabbage Chana Dal Sabzi - Gobi Chana Dal Recipe
Cabbage Chana Dal Sabzi Recipe is a healthy dry sabzi, made with cabbage and bengal gram. Seasoned with simple spices, this sabzi goes well with dal tadka, hot steamed rice and some pickle by the side. The dish is made healthy and hence makes a healthy diabetic sabzi.
Cabbage Chana Dal Sabzi is a crunchy cabbage/ patta gobi sabzi, made by combining it with bengal gram or chana dal as it is popularly known.
Chana dal is cooked and then stir fried fried with cabbage seasoned with simple Indian masalas used everyday in our kitchen.
Did you know: cabbage is a good source of Vitamin K, Vitamin C and Vitamin B6. Cabbage also protects us from radiation which is very crucial for Cancer treatments.
Try our other Cabbage Sabzi:
- Cabbage Foogath Recipe (Goan Style Cabbage Stir Fry)
- Mutton Kothu Kari Cabbage Masala - Mutton Cabbage Keema
- Patta Gobi Matar Nu Shaak Recipe (Cabbage & Peas Sabzi Recipe)
- 3 cups Cabbage (Patta Gobi/ Muttaikose) , shredded
- 2 Green Chilli , slit
- 1/2 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal) , washed and soaked
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
How to make Cabbage Chana Dal Sabzi - Gobi Chana Dal Recipe
To begin making the Cabbage Chana Dal Sabzi, we need to wash and soak the chana dal in hot water for about an hour.
Heat a skillet with oil on medium flame, to this hot oil, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and allow them to sizzle and splutter.
Next add in the curry leaves, asafoetida and the soaked and drained chana dal.
Add some water over the chana dal, cover and cook until the chana dal is well cooked.
This will take about 15 minutes.
Once the chana dal is cooked, open the lid, add the turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder.
Give it a good mix, add the slit green chillies and the shredded cabbage, cover and cook.
After about 5 minutes, check if the cabbage is cooked and has a slight crunch. If you wish, the cabbage to be softer, cook for a few more minutes and turn off the heat. Check the salt and other seasonings and adjust according to taste.
Once done, transfer the Cabbage Chana Dal Sabzi to a serving bowl and serve hot.