Green Moong Dal Cheela Recipe - Savory Green Mung Bean Pancakes
You must try this delicious and high protein cheela and also diabetic friendly recipe made with green moong dal. Serve it along with healthy tomato chutney or green chutney for an Indian breakfast.
The Green Moong Dal Cheela Recipe is made from whole green moong dal and spiced with green chillies, ginger, garlic and prepared like a thick pancake which is high in protein and also diabetic friendly.
The addition of flaxseed powder into the Green Moong Dal Cheela recipe makes it rich in Omega-3 which is essential for the brain, muscle and bone development.
Did you know: Green Mung Beans has low glycemic index, rich in fiber and high in protein and these properties help to regulate blood sugar for diabetics. It addition Green moong dal is a high in nutrients like manganese, potassium, magnesium, folate, copper, zinc and various B vitamins which are important for various building blocks of our body.
If you like Moong Dal Cheela Recipe recipe, here are a few more Chilla/Cheela recipes which are high in protein and also perfect for a indian diabetic diet.
- 1 cup Green Moong Dal (Whole)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Rice flour
- 1/4 cup Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , grated
- 3 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Water
- Salt , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoons Flax seed powder (flax meal)
- Oil , for shallow frying
How to make Green Moong Dal Cheela Recipe - Savory Green Mung Bean Pancakes
To begin making Moong Dal Cheela Recipe, soak the moong dal in water for a 5 to 6 hours or preferably overnight.
Once soaked, using a grinder, coarsely grind the moong dal with a very little water to make a thick batter.
Once done, remove the moong dal cheela batter into a mixing bowl, add other ingredients like rice flour, coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger and garlic, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and flax seed powder. Mix everything well.
The batter should be thick pouring consistency. Check the salt and adjust to suit according to taste.
Place a tawa on medium heat, add a few teaspoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add two heapful tablespoons of the moong dal cheela batter on the tawa.
Quickly spread it using the back of a spoon and let the moong dal cheela cook for a minute or two or till the bottom of the cheela turns golden brown. Flip the moong dal cheela and cook other side of the cheela too.
Remove the Moong Dal Cheela on an absorbent sheet or kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil. Use the moong dal cheela batter in a similar way to make more cheelas. Once done, it is ready to be served.
1. For these pancakes I coarsely ground the lentils coz this not only makes them crispier but also adds a lovely texture to them.
2. You can soak the dal for a few hours in some hot water (I use a hot case for that) in case you forget to soak it the night before.
3. The preparation time does not include the soaking time for the dal.