Khatti Meethi Lauki Dal Recipe - Sweet & Spicy Bottle Gourd Dal
Khatti Meethi Lauki Dal Recipe, a simple and easy recipe that is made from Bottle Gourd and toor dal which is delicately spiced with cinnamon, ginger and chilli and given that sweet and tanginess from jaggery and lemon. Serve it along with a cabbage sabzi and thepla for a wholesome lunch or dinner.
Khatti Meethi Lauki Dal Recipe is a tangy and sweet Bottle Gourd curry which is packed with flavours from cinnamon and ginger and given that zing from freshly squeezed lemon juice and coriander leaves. It is a super simple one-pot recipe made in a pressure cooker and perfect for those days when you want to keep things simple.
The bottle gourd is first sauteed with all the Indian spices and it is pressure cooked so that the vegetable can be cooked very easily in few minutes and at the same time the flavour remains intact.
Lauki is a wonderful vegetable that can be made into various dishes right from sweet to savoury. At the same time it also as the various beneficial element to cure heart problems.
If you are looking for more Bottle Gourd Recipes here are some of our favourites :
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower Oil , for cooking
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini) , broken
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta) , torn into half
- 1 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 1 Tomato , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal) , washed well in water
- 2 cups Bottle gourd (lauki) , peeled and chopped
- Salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery , crushed
- 1 Lemon , juice extracted
- 4 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery , powdered
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , a small bunch finely chopped
- Sunflower Oil , for cooking
How to make Khatti Meethi Lauki Dal Recipe - Sweet & Spicy Bottle Gourd Dal
We begin making the Khatti Meethi Lauki Dal Recipe, prepare all the ingredients and keep them ready.
Preheat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, ginger, tomatoes and curry leaves. Saute for about minute until the tomatoes are slightly mushy.
Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, washed toor dal, chopped bottle gourd, salt to taste, jaggery and 2-1/2 cups of water.
Cover the pressure cooker and cook the Khatti Meethi Lauki Dal for 3 whistles. After 3 whistles, turn the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes and turn off the heat.
Allow the pressure to release naturally. Once the pressure releases, check the taste, add salt if required and adjust the chilli and jaggery as well accordingly.
When you are ready to serve, give it a brisk boil just and squeeze in the juice from one lemon and stir in the chopped coriander leaves.
Transfer the Khatti Meethi Lauki Dal to a serving bowl.