Peshawari Kala Chana Recipe
Peshawar, a popular city in Pakistan in known for its rich art and culture. It is also known for its delicious cuisine which is rich and has a prominent use of flavorful and tangy spices. Most of our Punjabi cuisine in India is influenced by the Peshawar style of cooking. Peshawari Kala Chana Recipe is simple to make, yet flavorful with nutritional benefits of sprouted black chickpeas or kala chana.
Serve the Peshawari Kala Chana along with lachha parathas or steamed rice and green salads for a weeknight dinner.
Other chana recipes that you can try are:
- 2 cups Kala Chana (Brown Chickpeas) , sprouted
- 1 Onion , sliced
- 1 cup Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger , paste
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons Chana Masala Powder
- 1 tablespoon Anardana Powder (Pomegranate Seed Powder) , dried
- 2-3 teaspoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped for garnish
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- Salt , to taste
How to make Peshawari Kala Chana Recipe
To begin making the Peshawari Kala Chana, wash and pressure cook the sprouted kala chana for two whistles in a pressure cooker and keep aside.
Heat ghee in a wok on medium flame, add the whole spices - black cardamom and cinnamon stick and let it release its aroma into the ghee.
Add the sliced onions and fry until it turns brown, this will take around 10 minutes.
Now, add the tomatoes, ginger paste and finely chopped green chillies and saute until tomatoes become soft.
Add the spice powders - coriander, red chilli, chole masala and dried pomegranate powder and saute until the ghee leaves the sides.
Now, add the boiled spouted kala chana and enough water to your desired consistency.
Season with salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the Peshawari Kala Chana along with lachha parathas or steamed rice and green salads for a weeknight dinner.