Poricha Kuzhambu Recipe (Tamil Nadu Style Mixed Vegetables and Lentil Stew)
Poricha Kuzhambu is a traditional recipe from the Tirunelveli region of Tamil Nadu. It is a mixed vegetables and lentil stew, prepared using the mildly spiced coconut mix. It makes for a wonderful side dish with steamed rice. Since it uses mild spices, it is easy on the tummy as well.
If you liked this recipe, some other curry recipes that you might like are:
- 1/2 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal) , cooked
- 1/2 cup Carrots (Gajjar) , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 1/2 cup Green beans (French Beans) , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower (gobi) , cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons Fresh coconut , grated
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 teaspoon Rice , soaked
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/2 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Salt , to taste
How to make Poricha Kuzhambu Recipe (Tamil Nadu Style Mixed Vegetables and Lentil Stew)
To begin making Poricha Kuzhambu, wash and soak the toor dal for 30 minutes and then pressure cook using a cooker for 3 whistles and keep aside.
Make a smooth paste of grated coconut, soaked raw rice, cumin seeds and red chillies using a hand blender and keep aside.
Now take a big wok, add all the vegetables, 1/2 glass of water, turmeric powder, salt and cook until the vegetables are well cooked in medium flame.
Add the cooked dal to the vegetables, water to your required consistency and bring it to a rolling boil.
Now, add the ground spice mix, season with salt and let it simmer for 10 minutes to thicken and switch off the flame.
Heat a small tadka pan on medium heat, add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let it crackle.
Add the curry leaves and let it splutter and pour this tadka over the Poricha Kuzhambu.