Sabudana Vada Recipe - Deep Fried Sago Patties/Cutlets
Make these popular Maharashtrian Sabudana Vada on a cold evening or rainy day and enjoy as an evening snack with a hot cup of tea. These Crunchy outside and soft inside fritters are loved by everyone and can be served with any chutney of your choice.
Sabudana Vada is one of the most popular snacks from Maharashtra. Sago/Sabudana pearls along with potatoes are deep fried to make these crisp indulgent Vadas. Usually served as a fasting snack, these are great otherwise too, to satisfy your fried food cravings, along with a cup of hot tea! Sabudana Vada is usually served with a green, Coconut-Coriander chutney or a simple Curd based chutney. You can find the recipe for the curd based chutney below.
These Vadas are best deep fried. But for those who cannot have deep fried food, they can also be cooked in Appe Patra (Appam Patra/Aebleskiver pan) using less oil.
The soaking of Sabudana/Sago pearls can be sometimes tricky. Wash the Sabudana 2-3 times. Add just enough water and soak it overnight for best results.
You can optionally add 2 tablespoons of sabudana vada dough to the chutney.
Here are a few more snack recipes to try
For the Sabudana Vada
- 1 cup Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) , soaked overnight
- 2 Potatoes (Aloo) , boiled, peeled & mashed
- 1/4 cup Roasted Peanuts (Moongphali) , lightly crushed
- 4 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar , coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- Salt , to taste
- Oil , for deep frying For the Curd Chutney
- 3/4 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1 Potato (Aloo) , peeled and mashed
- 2 tablespoon Roasted Peanuts (Moongphali) , coarsely ground
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt , to taste
How to make Sabudana Vada Recipe - Deep Fried Sago Patties/Cutlets
To begin making the Sabudana Vada Recipe, prep all the ingredients and keep them ready. Place a kadai with oi on heat for deep frying the vadas.
Combine all the ingredients like the sabudana pearls, potato, roasted peanuts, cumin seeds, green chillies, sugar, lemon juice, coriander leaves and salt to taste in a bowl.
Mix well so that everything comes together to form a dough.
Make lemon sized balls from the dough and flatten into patties.
Deep fry on medium flame till golden brown.
The vadas should be crisp on the outside but also properly cooked inside , adjust the heat accordingly
Drain on an absorbent paper and serve immediately with chutney of choice.