Sprouted Moong Dal Recipe - Spicy Sprouted Lentil Curry
Give this delicious high protein dal made of sprouted green moong dal, kokum, Maharashtrian goda masala and other ingredients a try for a comforting meal with rice or roti.
Sprouted moong (Green gram) dal is a popular, healthy and spicy lentil curry made across India in different ways depending on the region. It is made using spicy masala and is perfect for your week day lunch.
Did you know: Green Moong or Whole Moong Dal is packed with protein and low in carbohydrates and is one of the best vegetarian superfoods out there. It has a low glycemic index and is high in dietary fibre making it a perfect lentil for diabetics as it releases sugar into the bloodstream slowly.
You can also try our other sprouted moong dal recipes like:
- Green Moong Dal Sundal Recipe
- Moong Bean Sprouts Upkari Recipe - Moong Beans Stir Fry
- Sprouted Green Gram Kosambari Recipe- With Pomegranates
- 2 cups Green Moong Sprouts
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 1 tablespoon Ghee , or oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon Maharashtrian Goda Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2 Kokum (Malabar Tamarind)
- 1/2 teaspoon Jaggery , grated
- 2 teaspoon Groundnut powder
- 2 cups Water , or as required
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , Chopped, for garnishing
How to make Sprouted Moong Dal Recipe - Spicy Sprouted Lentil Curry
To begin making the Sprouted Moong Dal Recipe, heat ghee/oil in a pressure cooker.
Add the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds and once they crackle add the onion, garlic, asafoetida and saute it for 1-2 minutes till the onions turn translucent.
After 1-2 minutes, add the turmeric powder, moong sprouts and sauté it for about a minute.
Next add the masala, chilli powder and mix well. Add water and then add the kokum, jaggery, salt, peanut powder and stir well to combine.
Cover it with the lid and cook it till the cooker releases 1 whistle or till the sprouts are well cooked. Adjust the consistency of water if required.
Once the Sprouted Moong Dal is done, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Giving up a lucrative career tinkering with Analytical equipments, Madhuli Ajay chose to tinker in her Food lab- developing new recipes & satisfying her culinary travel cravings. She has been sharing heirloom recipes on her blog 'My Foodcourt' for the past 9 yrs. Madhuli bakes to feed her soul. Testing recipes & photographing food for a cookbook, has fuelled her food photography passion. Based in the gorgeous 'Wine Capital' of India Nashik, Madhuli also loves spending time in her little kitchen garden.