Uttar Pradesh Style Satpaita Dal Recipe
Mixed dal topped with a flavourful garlic tadka
Satpaita Dal is a popular winter special recipe in Uttar Pradesh. this dish is such a comforting dish and must have often during winters. This dal has got mixed lentils cooked with spinach and then finally topped with flavoursome garlic tadka. This recipe is not only gluten-free but it is also filled with goodness of spinach & various lentils. This dal recipe is typically eaten with rice.
If you like this recipe, try more recipes like
- 1/2 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1/4 cup White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1/2 kg Spinach Leaves (Palak)
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns , crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 3 Green Chillies , minced
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- Oil , as required
- Salt , to taste For tadka
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 4 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 Green Chillies , slit
How to make Uttar Pradesh Style Satpaita Dal Recipe
To begin making Uttar Pradesh Style Satpaita Dal Recipe, soak the lentils overnight. Clean spinach thoroughly and blanch them and grind spinach in a mixer grinder to make a smooth paste.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan and then add bay leaf and onions into it once the oil is hot enough. Saute until the onions are a light brown colour.
Add the ginger-garlic paste, minced chillies, tomatoes, salt, all the dry spices except garam masala and cook for a while.
Drain the soaked dal, add into the masala and cook until the mixture comes together from the sides of the pressure cooker pan.
Add the spinach paste and mix everything well and fry for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
Now add the garam masala and pour enough water, close the lid and let the cooker give 3-4 whistles. Turn off the heat
Take a small frying pan and heat the ghee and add hing, green chillies, cumin seeds and garlic into it, when it has sputtered, switch off and pour it on the dal and give it a swirl.