Vegetarian Grilled Gyros Recipe
A grilled vegetable roll that is filled with lots of fresh roasted vegetables with simple flavours. It makes for a great evening snack or a party appetizer.
Gyros are traditional Greek sandwich/wrap that has toppings of grilled meat like lamb, beef or pork marinated in Greek seasoning. Usually a pita bread is used in making the gyros. A vegetarian version of gyros uses some delicious grilled veggies like zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, aubergines smeared and drizzled with delicious Tzatziki sauce. I have used Tortillas since I could not make/get pita bread. To make traditional gyros, please use pita bread.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other wrap recipes such as:
- 6 Mini Pita Breads , (I used tortilla instead of pita bread)
- 1/2 cup Tzatziki , or hummus
- 1 Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) , cut into thin strips
- 1 Green zucchini , cut into thin strips
- 1 Yellow Zucchini , cut into thin strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , cut into thin strips
- 1 Red Bell pepper (Capsicum) , cut into thin strips
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , cut into thin strips
- 1 cup Button mushrooms , (use portabella mushrooms if you get) sliced
- 2 Tomatoes , sliced length wise
- 1 Red onion , sliced
- 1 Cucumber , sliced
- 5 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon juice
- Salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 3 cloves Garlic , minced
How to make Vegetarian Grilled Gyros Recipe
To begin making the Vegetarian Grilled Gyros recipe, wash all vegetables and pat them dry using a kitchen towel.. Cut zucchini, bell peppers and mushrooms into thick strips.
Prep the onions and garlic as well and keep it ready.
In a bowl add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and minced garlic, mix well. Add all the cut vegetables into the olive oil mix and leave it aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
Fire up your grill and get it ready. Once vegetables are marinated, place them on grill in single layer and grill for 2 to 3 minutes on one side then flip it over a grill on other side.
Some vegetables like zucchini cooks fast, so adjust the timing accordingly. Do not over grill/char the zucchini.
Place the pita bread on the grill pan for 1 minute on each side.
Now spread a spoonful of Tzatziki sauce on pita bread and spread the grilled vegetables.
Fold the wrap on both sides and then fold the bottom. Wrap it with aluminium foil and serve immediately.